Posted on April 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM
A California woman who was assaulted by a man she met on Match.com has brought a lawsuit against the Internet dating giant.
I have been teaching a safe dating seminar for quite sometime now. I would like to share 5 tips on how to stay safe when meeting someone online, offline.
Top 5 Online Dating Safety Tips
- Never share your home or office address with someone you're meeting online for the first time. There used to be a time when your date would come to your house to pick you up. With Internet dating, I strongly advise against it.
- Always have your own transportation (Car, bus, train, a ride from a friend). Never get in the car of someone you've just met, no matter how charming they are.
- Always meet in a public, well-lit area like a restaurant. Meeting in a crowded, dim-lit nightclub, bar or movie theater is not recommended.
- After you meet your date, excuse yourself to the restroom. Call a family member or friend, give them some basic information about your date and your location.
- After the date, make sure your date does not follow you home. To avoid being followed home, take a different route to go home. If you're walking home, make sure you walk in well-lit areas or ask a trusted friend to escort you home