Posted on November 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM
I would love to share with you a few essentials that you must have in your closet. I advise men and women when shopping to not buy into trends but rather to buy functional wardrobe pieces. Trends fade, while functional clothing are always "in."
The top five functional pieces that women should always have in their closet are:
- Little black dress (LBD) : Very convenient for any special occasions. When buying your LBD make sure you don't buy a style that is currently the trend (bubble black dress) because once that trend is no longer in, your LBD will be considered past season.
- Classic buttoned down crisp white shirt: You must have short sleeves for the warm weather and long sleeves for cold weather.
- Black trousers: You can wear them to work, to an interview, a funeral and almost any other occasion you can think of so keep them handy.
- Pencil skirt: They are one trend that have yet to fade. They look fabulous with a crisp white shirt and a pair of high heels.
- A trench coat: They are timeless and they instanly give you a professional look everytime.
Now for the men, here are my top five closet must-haves:
- A suit: This is the number one piece of clothing you must always have in your closet. You must have at least have one suit (top and bottom) above all else.
- Classic buttoned down crisp white shirt: Important to have and can be worn for almost any occasion.
- Black belt: A belt has a very important purpose in your wardrobe, always wear one.
- Dress shoes: Yes, I have met men who did not own a pair of dress shoes.
- A solid colored tie: There's no excuse to not own a tie, you can even buy one at a local thrift shop.